Unlike the Governor General of Canada and some provincial Lieutenant Governors, whose offices are located in their official residence, the Lieutenant Governor of Québec has always had an office away from his residence.
A few illustrated pages from a chapter in the book entitled L’histoire du Québec à travers ses lieutenants-gouverneurs cover this subject.
The Office of the Lieutenant Governor of Québec has, over the years, been located at three different sites, all of them in Québec City, the provincial capital. As of 1867, the Office of the Lieutenant Governor, as it was called at the time, was situated in the Sewell house at the corner of rue Saint-Louis and rue d’Auteuil, a stone’s throw away from Saint-Louis Gate, in Old Québec. In 1881, it was moved to new wing of the Building A of the Parliament Building, called Grande Allée. Almost a century later, in 1979, the rising number of Members of the National Assembly and their staff meant another displacement, this time to Building E, more specifically, 1050, rue des Parlementaires. The then Lieutenant Governor, the Honourable Jean-Pierre Côté (1978-1984), agreed to the move, but had certain requirements, including transfer of the existing furnishings. His request was granted, down to the last detail.
Apart from office furniture, the Lieutenant Governor brought with him magnificent pieces dating from the late 19th century, such as glass-fronted bookcases, console tables with mirrors, sideboards, galeries de croisés, imposts, fauteuils and other armchairs.
There has been no official residence of the Lieutenant Governor since 1997, and, as a result, the Office is now arranged so that state dinners and receptions can be held there. Antiques saved from the Bois-de-Coulonge fire and from the last official residence have been added to the existing furniture, including a dining room suite.
The facade at 1050, rue des Parlementaires.
In 1980, Building E on rue des Parlementaires, which also houses the Parliamentary Press Office, was dubbed the André-Laurendeau Building after the journalist and editor-in-chief of the Devoir and the founder of the Bloc populaire in the 1940s.
This lounge that adjoins the office of the Lieutenant Governor is where guests sign the Golden Book before being received by His Honour
Office of the Lieutenant Governor.
This is the main working area of the Lieutenant Governor, where he assents to bills, swears in ministers when Cabinet shuffles occur, plays host to diplomats or other guests, or sees the Premier when he requests that Parliament be dissolved before calling a general election
This armchair in the archway is called the "Throne of the Lieutenant Governor." It was used at the Parliament Building when the Lieutenant Governor presided over the opening of the sessions of the Legislative Council, dissolved in 1968.
The chairs around the table are from the Bois-de-Coulonge. These excess pieces had been stored in an adjacent building and were therefore spared from the 1966 fire.
Occasionally, this room doubles as a reception hall.
Queen Anne dining room suite, purchased after the Bois-de-Coulonge fire, graced the Lieutenant Governor’s official residence from 1966 to 1997